Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Sunday, April 1, 2007

A climbing adventure


So this past week, which was Spring Break for us, we went to Sunriver with our entire family. Now, by entire family I mean my parents, my sister and her two children, David and I and the kids. Sunriver is a resort about 3 and 1/2 hours away. It is a great place to getaway. What we have learned is that is may not be a great place for Javad. Sunriver is in the high desert and each time we have gone there (except when he was barely one year old) he has struggled. Once we had to drive home at 11 pm to take him to the hospital (at 3 in the morning). So, on our way there, Javad had a crazy runny nose. We got there and he seemed lethargic. At 3:30 in the morning, he had a desaturation episode (his oxygen measure) in the 50's (90's is normal). It was a bit scary. We didn't have the oxygen in the room (or house for that matter), I couldn't get the plug from his trach, he was turning gray and was lethargic. I was running through a variety of scenarios in my head, (calling 911, not knowing our address), all while bagging and suctioning clumps from his trach. It is times like this that I remember really how his life hangs in the balance at times!

So the next morning we starting giving him extra water like crazy and, although we didn't get to do all the activities we had hoped, he started feeling better. No bike riding and walking for Javad, but no hospital either! Whew!

So, David and I alternated taking care of him and we did a variety of activities. One of the activites I did was attempt the rock wall. When I was very young I used to climb with my dad. My dad tells a story of me rock climbing (of the real kind) when I was 5. He would tell me where to go (climb to that ledge) and I would scramble up the rock and wait for him, legs dangling over the ledge. Well, this continued until I was about 8 when I realized HOW FAR UP WE WERE! Needless to say, my climbing career ended before the age of 10.

I have wanted to try out climbing for many years. I realize that I needed to approach my fear and confront it! So I went climbing 3 times. The first time, about 2/3 the way up. The second (different route) same result, but finally yesterday I made it to the top...well, close enough that we are counting it! It felt like a great accomplishment. Yes, my sister made it up all three time. Yes, Simon and Adam made it up. Stesha made it about 2/3 the way up! Now I am motivated to take the kids to the rock gym...

All in all the trip was a success. It was nice to spend relaxing time with family. Now back to real life!

No comments: