Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Friday, January 26, 2007

The dentist and other fun things

So this has been the week! Last saturday while watching the Portland Lumberjax Lacrosse team, I "stole" some cotton candy from Jacob (simon's best friend), took a bite, and a piece of one of my teeth broke off! Who knew that eating air could have such repercussions?

So I called to make a dental appointment, which surely meant that the second coming must be near. I hate the dentist...Well, let me rephrase, I like my dentist, I just have a severe phobia involving dentists! So, anyway, I made the appointment to get my tooth fixed for next Monday.

On Wednesday, I called because I was in pain and they squeezed me into their afternoon schedule. (Must I remind you that I have already taken two days off in the past few weeks due to snow and ice.) Imagine my suprise and delight (sarcasm here) when they told me that I had an abcess totally unrelated to the tooth chipping and would need to go to an Endodontist.

So, Thursday, I traipse off to the Endodontist, only to have him tell me that I needed to get it pulled and sent me to an Oral Surgeon. (another afternoon off work, thank you!)Thank you very much! Pass Go and pay your $200, please!

Today, I went to the oral surgeon, who ironically is Dr. Nichols, but, obviously, not Javad's pulmonologist Dr. Nichols! So we chatted for a few, then he put novacaine in, then we waited more. Finally came the time to check...I said I still had some feeling. More novacaine (now I am starting to have a bit of a panc attack!) and more waiting. So after six shots of novacaine, it is decided that the tooth cannot be pulled today because I STILL have sensitivy. Now, maybe if I was the size of a supermodel, I would be unconscious on the floor from the amount of numbing medicine had been imparted into my gums, but alas, I am not a supermodel thus I must need enough medication to tranquilize an elephant. Unfortunately this is not available and probably safe! So here I am, still with tooth, taking pain medication that should last four hours, every three hours (see above mentioned model comment), taking antibiotics and applying cold packs! Yes, I get to do this for another fun filled six days. Who knew the dentist could be so much fun!

Oh, and if the dentist just isn't fun enough, last night we had our first National Honor Society Induction Ceremony at my school (which really was great!) and I had to speak with my jaw swollen and looking like someone who had been punched in the face. Yee-Haw!

Shannon

No comments: