Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Monday, January 29, 2007

Teacher extraordinare?

So, here I am at 11:05 pm the night before the new semester. What am I doing? (Duh...typing my blog...this is important!) So, do I really think that I am going to make a difference? Why should I care?

Okay, that may sound like I have thrown in my $2.00 towel that was given to me in some white elephant exchange at a christmas party, but I really haven't. I am looking within myself, trying to find out what is my purpose?

Long ago, I decided that I wanted to make a difference. First I started out teaching Special Education in a fairly wealthy school district in the Seattle area. I liked my job, but was not in a place personally that allowed me to find my place within that establishment.

Life then took me to California where I taught in a middle school near the projects. I had students that could see the ocean, but had never been there. Their perspective on the future was to grow up and raise their family in the projects. Many generations lived in the same place, with similar goals.

Now I teach in a high school that also has a large poverty issue. Sometimes, I find that my frustration level runs high. As one who also came from the "wrong side of the tracks" but always had a goal for the future, it is difficult to grasp not having any sense of a goal. many of my students don't try in my class, saying that they can make it up "next quarter."

This is a prime example of one of many exchanges between myself and my students...

Me: Okay, let me lay this out for you. You need three credits of math to graduate, that's three whole years of math. You are a (insert sophomore, junior, senior) and you currently have no math credits (okay, maybe they have a half). What is your plan?

Random Student: I am going to make it up next semester.

Me: Okay, then you will have the same amount of credit as now, but less time to do it. How is that going to work for you?

Random student: Can't you give me a syllabus?

Me (in my head): Suuurrree. I mean, hello, you haven't done a stich of work in my class, have mostly been a seat warmer, probably don't own a pencil (since you borrow everyday), binder (never seen one), or have any of the previous handouts, I am sure that you will be successful doing an entire year of math on your own time!

Me (out loud): I really want you to be successful and don't feel that is the best path for you!

Okay, I just did my grades, and I think approximately 55% of my classes did NOT pass. Yeah for me! Boy that makes me just feel like I am the most stellar teacher possible!

Yep..give me an award. I think I am sure to get teacher of the year...better that that name me, Shannon: Teacher extraordinare!

No comments: