Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Watch out, exploding head nearby!

Well, today was the first day of the new term. As mentioned yesterday, I had many of those conversations with "random student." The question, "Can I have a syllabus?" was met with, "You need Tim's signature." That's my principal, who I know is going to say no. Bummer for them...no work for me!

I think my next job may be as a therapist, specializing in Educational Therapy. That's a nice way of saying "Therapy for Teachers." Teachers are a unique bunch. Most people on the outside think that being a teacher is a piece of cake. I mean, after all, pardon my sarcasm, teachers only work 9.5 months a year, only work from 8 to 4 (adjust hours accordingly depending on your grade level), and make a good living. I guess on the outside this is true, but let me give you some deeper facts. (Cue the choir singing the allelujia chorus). Teachers must have a minimum of a Master's Degree to teach now (or a 5th year degree), get a pay increase of a whopping $500 when they get their doctorate (wow! That almost pays for one class toward the doctorate), take hours of work home every night (I usually have at least 2 - 3 hours), take classes during the summer (I am gone for three weeks) in order to keep "up" on new curriculum, and, now with NCLB (No child left behind), schools are having a more difficult time getting teachers who are "highly qualified" to teach classes (I have my Master's Degree in Education, have been teaching math for 14 years, have my math endorsement, am working on my Master's in Math, and have been told that I cannot continue to teach the classes I teach if I don't take two more tests that will say I am more "highly qualified" that I guess I am now...) Who are we kidding here?

I don't want to complain. I love my job, but there are many times that I feel ineffective. I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle. Students are satisfied with being apathetic, ( I like to call is the drive toward mediocrity) some of this is environmental, some of it just because the fear of success is far too frightening.

What is my place in this whole equation? That is what I wonder each and every day. I talk to my friends and they feel the same. What is my place? It's enough to make your head explode! That's what is happening. When you hear that pop, it's a head exploding...

My job, to teach the youth of America, form young minds...how do I do that when the answer I get is "I'll do it next quarter." Apathy...I think I need educational therapy. My head is exploding.

Answers anyone?

No comments: