Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Ambidextrous

So, I grew up knowing that I was able to do things with both hands. When I was in college, I took a golf class and pretty much sucked. I spent about two-thirds of the class making very large divots in the hills of George Fox College, and muttering under my breath about how bad I was. The professor asked me whether I had ever did things left handed. I explained that I did do some things left handed and that my mother did as well. I was handed a left handed club and viola, I could hit the ball. Okay, don't get me wrong, I am no golfer, but at least I could HIT the ball! So that event occurred many years ago. Who knew that the big Ambidextrous word would come back to bite me in the butt?

This last week when at practice my assistant coach, Cassie, has been laughing at me because I can't cradle for crap. For thos of you who know nothing about lacrosse, for girls, cradling is how one keeps the ball in the net. The centrifugal force of cradling (a kind of rocking motion) keeps the ball in the net as you run down the field. Although the others on the field try to check the ball out of your net, cradling is essential to lacrosse.

So, anyway, on friday I was working with the girls on ground balls (scooping the ball off the ground with your net) and one of my players asked if I was left-handed. I said, "no, why?" She said, "You just did that ground ball left-handed." Things that make you go "Hmmm." In my brain, I am thinking, "Wait a minute. If I am taking the ground balls left handed, maybe I should try cradling left handed." Viola...I guess I can cradle now!

Who knew?

No comments: