Driving down the highway of life..sometimes there are curves, sometimes its a straightaway. Most times I am thinking...where's the exit?!?

Monday, February 5, 2007

What have I created?



I think I have created a monster.

For those of you who may not know, I teach high school math. Okay, I realize that I may have mentioned that once or twice already, but maybe you're new, maybe you don't pay attention, maybe you have been sleeping while reading my blog. I realize that for youthis may not be the most important thing for you to read every day, but clearly, it is the highlight of my day...

Okay, I digress..

Anyway, that's right, I was talking about the monster I have created.

So, we just finished a quarter a week or so ago and, as I was giving out about a thousand (slight exaggeration) "N's" (which is our district's cheezy way of inflating grades by not giving F's. "N" is nicer, you know, No pass!) So back to the monster...as I was giving my thousand N's and, of course, feeling like I am the best math teacher ever! (sarcasm dripping!)I was contemplating how, pray tell, I was going to save face and get these little urchins passing my class without just giving them passing grades(clearly their solution!).

So, I came up with this great plan. First, I would devise a math log which would allow me to give them participation points, give them daily assignments, give them a weekly skill packet, and a warm-up that we correct each day. (This is for two of my classes only.) So I started the new project last week, but of course I was out with the big yank for part of the week and I came back this week to find...A STACK OF WORK ON MY DESK TO BE GRADED! Holy Cow Batman! Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus! Maybe this is going to work!

Okay, so I will have a stack of work to grade every night, but I may (not only)possibly have a bunch of kids passing this quarter, but also (and even more importantly) have kids that actually are understanding math (shocking, I know!)

I realize that it's only the second week, so maybe I shouldn't get too excited, but don't burst my bubble. I am thinking that I am back in the running for TEACHER OF THE YEAR!

Let the grading begin!

No comments: